Of Titles & Respect

Sir. Madam. Chattrapati. Maharaj. Mahatma.

In the ancient period, all kinds of titles were anointed to certain brave and prestigious people to ascertain their bravery and prestige. What was supposed to be a sign of respect though turned out to be an instrument of oppression, of divide, which is why they were abolished.

I’d like to point out the keywords in the above paragraph – 1. Ancient period 2. Instrument of oppression, divide 3. Abolished.

-

I am what you’d call a trekker, because I have trekked my way through many of the forts of Maharashtra. This love for fortresses was built in me in 4th standard, because my entire History syllabus was built around the revered king Shivaji Bhosale, for whom these monuments were home. This is the ruler I truly admire, and I have tried to read everything about him I could find. Leadership for the sake of people’s welfare always intrigued me, and here was a man, a man made of blood and flesh and bones and not a figment of imagination or myths, who gave people something to believe in. When I go to these forts, these homes built on high and difficult terrains, I try to breathe the history in. The dilapidated structures feel sacred even in their moments of ruin.

Though I usually prefer trekking alone, this one time I had gone with my friends to this fort called Mahuli. Atop the fort, on an elevated structure of stones, was a statue of Shivaji. I climbed for a better look, and this friend of mine told me to first remove my shoes and then climb. It truly baffled me. We humans have a tendency to elevate great people to the likeness of Gods, and I respect your wishes if you feel that. Everyone has their own ways of portraying faith, and in my faith, I don’t feel the need to remove my shoes or add a suffix and a prefix before uttering his name, because then he becomes a stranger to me. Someone I cannot reach. It’s weird, but it’s my belief, and I don’t see it harming anybody, so it should be respected.

-

A comedian’s video has been recently traveling the internet wrapped in rage because she supposedly offended religious/cultural sentiments of some by insulting the great king. When I had seen the video, I truly couldn’t understand what the outrage was all about, I still don’t. But apparently, it was offensive enough that she deserved receiving abuses, death, and rape threats.

If you truly knew anything about the king you proclaim to love, under whose name you do the very things he tried to rid of, you’d know the sheer stupidity of your unwarranted and unfounded rage. History has the blessing to teach us to not commit the same mistakes again and again, but it also has the curse of repeating itself, because hey, humans will only learn that which suits their hypocrite propaganda. And don’t you know – if you don’t adhere to what the majority believes in, even if it’s flawed and insensible, you’ll be the one who’s abolished. Rationality and logic be damned.

So learn your etiquette again.

Sir. Madam. Chattrapati. Maharaj. Mahatma.


Comments

Popular Posts